Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Review: Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files #1) by Sylvain Neuvel

Okay, so I'm late to the party on this one, and I will admit when this book came out and everyone was talking about it I tried to avoid the hype for fear of being disappointed. But I couldn't resist when this book came on sale for Kindle at a very low price one that I couldn't say no to.

First off this is not the typical science fiction book. Why you ask? Because at least 95% of it is written as a transcript of interviews between some type of government agent and witnesses to the events that unfold in the book. Some people who have read this were critical of this because this writing style leaves very little room to develop characters, but the main point of this book is not the characters. The main point of the book is the event. So if you are a reader who wants character development driven stories this is not the book for you.

What is the event you ask? Giant Robots from Space! Fans of robot mechs and fighting robots rejoice. The book starts out by discovering a hand within an underground cavern and it slowly builds on the story and revealing just what this giant robot looks like and what it is capable of. Now I won't spoil any of the specifics because this was part of what made this story so interesting. The anticipation to see how it all comes together and how the reaction from those who witness it and what they learn along the journey.

I have to admit that I am pretty impressed by the writing of this "high school drop out". Being written the way it is this is a super fast paced read and one that doesn't leave you feeling that there is anything missing. Although I made sure to pace myself and read this at a slow pace so I could enjoy it. I really enjoyed this and will admit it did slow down a bit towards the end, but this has not deterred me from wanting to read more in this series. I will read book 2 in the series eventually, and I know that book 3 is due to release soon.(May 2018) I rated this 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. I do have to say again that this will not be for everyone. If you get excited about things like Ancient Aliens, and Robotech, or Gundam this will be right up your alley.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment