Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Review: Happy! by Grant Morrison

First off I have to say this was on my radar, but it was a very long time before I had the opportunity to read it. I liked reading this author's works, and of course, this seemed interesting enough. My local library did not have any copies of this, and I was not sure I wanted to drop money on this book. I then saw an advertisement for the series on Syfy and knew I had to read this soon.

So I discovered my local library finally got a digital copy of this book and I checked it out. The reviews on this book are varied not many people can agree on whether it's good or bad. I will say that this miniseries about an ex-cop turned hitman in search of his daughter is sorta like a more gruesome and vulgar version of Taken....if it was a Christmas special. Having seen the Syfy series before reading the comic originally was something to get used to. As you would know if you have seen the miniseries it is really drawn and dragged out to make for like 8 episodes. The original book is much shorter and does not have as many scenes. Even characters have somewhat different names and looks. A lot of scene differences between the comic and the miniseries adaptation. Each is there own separate animal and when I did my review of this book upon completion I took that into consideration. Some hated this book and some loved it. I will say that the artwork is gritty and definitely leaves the reader feeling a bit of unease as they read it. 

See the source image

This does have the gritty feel that Morrison is known for writing in his stories, and for that reason, and considering it is very different from its TV adaptation(which is much milder in comparison) I decided to rate this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. If you have not seen the series and have read the book please be mindful that it was tamed down for syndication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment