Monday, May 5, 2014

CBGB Film Review (Godfather of Punk)

This weekend I just watched what I think may be classified as a docu-drama. It was a film called CBGB, that was about the bar's owner, Hilly Kristal, and how he opened his bar, and it sparked a movement. I really enjoyed watching this film, even though it didn't have any big name stars in it, because I grew up listening to Punk rock. I never really knew that much about this club, and it was interesting to see how this one man's laid back attitude encouraged and shaped a movement that was Punk Rock.This film was released in 2013, and I'm guessing a  lot of people have not heard of it. But basically it follows the history of the bar that the initials are meant to stand for Country Blue Grass and Blues. It was fun seeing the different interpretations of famous punk bands.




The soundtrack was also another good part of this movie, as it featured some punk rock, and some '70's music from that time period. I noticed a lot of Velvet Underground in the film.  But if you are a fan of Punk Rock, and you are curious to see some history behind it then I highly recommend seeing this film.




No comments:

Post a Comment