Monday, April 21, 2014

Einkorn Wheat Bread Experiment

Within the past month or so I had read finished reading"Wheat Belly", which is a book that claims that wheat is the real reason for the obesity epidemic.  I do not doubt this, because I had tried the Atkin's diet, which excludes carbs, and I lost a lot of weight. When I went off of it I gained all the weight back from eating carbs.

To get to the point of this blog post. I had read a section about Einkorn wheat, and how it was the first grain that our ancestors baked bread from. It is said that due to all of the genetic modifications to wheat that lead to the weight gaining wheat we have today. So the author of Wheat Belly had so many good things to say about this ancient grain that I just had to try it out for myself. Of course, it was not easy to find. I mean you cannot just go to your local supermarket, and pick it up. But I did manage to find it on amazon being offered by a company called Jovial Foods.



When I got this package in the mail I was surprised by just how small, and compact the sack of flour was. It must be a much denser flour than traditional flour that we all know and are used to using for so many years.  But being conscience of my weight I really wanted to see if this flour lived up to Wheat Belly's claims. My family and I decided to try and make a loaf of bread from this ancient grain. We used a bread machine and a recipe from the manufacturer's website. The price is not too bad, and worth it in the long run.

Slice of Einkorn Wheat Bread.

My family really seemed to enjoy this bread, and we ate half the loaf that night with our dinner. This bread had a cake like  consistency while warm with a firm crust. The taste is slightly different from store bought bread, as I guess American bread is very sweet flavor. The Einkorn bread had a yeast/bread flavor that was pleasant, and good. Upon cooling it had a cornbread-like texture, as it was a little crumbly. This does not really bother me because the next day I felt great. This bread did not make me feel tired or bloated. I am currently interested in trying more of their products and think that this is a great way to get away from the overly processed bread that is currently offered by the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment