Monday, April 8, 2019

Review: A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

I have read a few of Dick's science fiction novels, but this one took me the longest amount of time to read. I know that a while ago I tried to watch the film adaptation of this with no success. I do know it starred Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder. Quite a few of Dick's novels have been turned into films. You would be surprised.
After watching the trailer and having read the book finally I just may have to re-watch this. But let's talk about the book and my thoughts on it. 

One reason it took me months to read this was the dialogue and subject matter of the first half of this novel. Of course for those who do not know this book is about a group of friends and drugs. With this being said it was rather hard for me to read through random dialogues about nonsense conversations between the characters of this book. I understand that they are on drugs, and I know from having seen a documentary on the author that he too liked to party. But ridiculous and meaningless conversations almost made me give up reading this book. 

It wasn't until almost a little over halfway through the book does it start to make sense. When the details of one of the designer drugs that they consume Substance D, is revealed to be very harmful to the user. Also, this is where some great thoughts on how drugs can alter and make people undesirable. I'm glad that the author writes at the ending about how this book doesn't have any real moral idea behind it but it was just to describe how bad drugs can affect people who choose to overindulge in them. He even has a list of friends and how they were affected by drugs. He stated that many of his friends were the basis for the characters of this novel. 

There was also a brief mention of a sub-plot involving one of the lesser characters, but it was never revealed in more detail. I think this would have made this book more enjoyable. 

So I decided to rate this 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.com, and to be honest with those reading this I do not understand why this has been rated 4 or 5 stars by others. I don't know what I missed that was so great about this. But I do think I need a break from reading this author after having taking so many months to plow through this book. Maybe if I had read it faster and had gotten through the nonsense convos it would have been more enjoyable?


No comments:

Post a Comment