Friday, September 28, 2018

Review- Galaxy of Terror (1981)

So it's that time of the year (Fall) to watch horror films in anticipation of Halloween. So I know it's not October yet, but I figured why not get in the spirit and watch an old cheesy sci-fi horror classic. I remembered this movie from when I was a kid in the 80's...yeah my parents let me watch R rated movies. It's been a very long time since I had seen this so I had to give it a re-watch. 

The stars in this film I'm sure drew a crowd. After all, Joanie (Erin Moran) from Happy Days starred in this as one of the female leads. Ray Walston, from Popeye also starred in this. While this is not a cinematic masterpiece it did feature some up and coming stars of the horror film world, such as Robert Englund known for his role as Freddy Kreuger in The Nightmare on Elm Street series. The yet to be known Sid Haig, who is from Rob Zombies films had a minor role. 
So yeah this is kinda cheesy in comparison to sci-fi classics from this period due to its low budget. But that doesn't mean it wasn't worth watching. This was one of the many horror/sci-fi films in the 80's. Not as cinematically pleasing as Alien or The Thing. For instance, there is a scene with a very similar looking alien type creature. Before Event Horizon we had Galaxy of Terror. The special effects are not terrible and can be a little gruesome at times. Be mindful that there were quite a few head explosions and corny laser gun sound effects. Check out the trailer below. If you have an Amazon Prime membership you can watch this for free. Believe it or not, they actually made a sequel to this called Forbidden Planet that I will have to check out later.




No comments:

Post a Comment