Friday, September 28, 2018

Review- All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries) by Martha Wells

This is probably one of the most trending books in the SFF (Science Fiction & Fantasy) community. It seems like almost everyone has read this or wants to read this. It starts out so interesting and captivating that I read it in big portions. This was definitely a page-turner in the beginning. We get a strong sense of the main character, Murderbot. Quirky, and kinda chill and seems to be okay not getting involved in the affairs of its caretakers or renters I should say. It and I refer to with no gender as it is never defined as being anything other than a machine. It would rather spend its time watching serials in the feed than do the job it was made to do which is security. 

This story was so fast paced that a mystery soon develops after the introduction to the rest of the mission party. And shortly after this, the climax falls right into limbo. The events then flow so fast and seemingly so rushed as if the author did not really flesh out the story but rather plowed through an idea. The reader is hastily introduced to the antagonists and their intentions become even vague as the story then takes on a full action mode where any details about these villains and their plans for the mission team are anyone's guess. Before you know it the story is over, and I had to go back a few pages to see if perhaps I had skimmed or missed something. I really felt like there was no real resolution to the climax of the story. 

The winner of numerous awards, such as the 2018 Hugo award for best novella. NY Times and USA Today bestseller. By the end of this, I felt like it was just another Pinochioesque story. Or one in which the main character is kinda heading that way but isn't 100% sure. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy this short story and want to read the rest of the series. But I felt that this was hastily written and could have been a bit more developed. I rated this 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. If you have yet to read this check out the link below to get yourself a copy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment