Saturday, December 16, 2017

Film Review: Star Wars- The Last Jedi (Spoiler Free)



Being a Star Wars fanboy from the original trilogy, of course, I had to go and see the latest release in the series. The hype was real for this latest film. Some of the original characters returned such as Leia, and Luke, and some who I will not mention so as not to spoil it for those who have yet to see this. I enjoyed it and it was suspenseful with not many slow or dull scenes. But it used a lot of scene ideas from previous hit films, such as the Hoth like battle scene on the reddish salt planet, and another key scene and ideas from Return of the Jedi. I felt like this kinda had to rely on the previous films to make this feel like it was just as good as it was not very original. There were a few 3d type scenes but it didn't rely on 3d effects to make it good. Another thing I didn't like was that this film seemed to cater to a younger audience. We all know the criticism that Rebel One got for being too mature with its content. I feel like the writers of Last Jedi felt like they had to make this one more family friendly as it featured a lot of comedic scenes and cutesy characters such as the animal bird hybrid creatures. Some of the dialogue near the end of the film kind of implied to me that this is a new market for young viewers as they kept implying forget the old ideas you had about this story. I'm fine with that letting the children of a new generation have their pop-cultural iconography of a New Star Wars.

So, in the end, I enjoyed the film but just didn't find it as enjoyable as the original trilogy. I think any fan of this series will enjoy this movie. Somethings about the past of this universe and from the prior film were explained but some things were just simplified and I felt the wider audience was expecting a better and bigger explanation than what was offered. yet again I will not spoil this and say what was revealed that dashed my expectations but once you have viewed this film you will see for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment